The ABSH [American Bryological and Lichenological Society Hepatic Herbarium] and the personal liverwort collections of R. Stotler & B. Crandall-Stotler have been moved to the Field Museum of Natural History, Chicago (F). The society hepatic collection was transferred here in 1972 from the University of Cincinnati where it had been curated by Margaret Fulford since 1933. It was initiated in 1901 (see Stotler, R.E. 1972 “The American Bryological and Lichenological Society hepatic herbarium – Past and present”. Bryologist 75: 165-167). This herbarium contains nearly 25,000 specimens, primarily from the United States and Canada making it one of the most complete collections of our flora. An addition of the Mary Taylor herbarium of about 8,000 specimens was made in the late 1970s but these collections were transferred to the Field Museum in 1985. In 1982 the Society disbanded the 3 herbaria, namely lichens (ABSL) liverworts (ABSH), and mosses (ABSM), each of which went to the then current curator. The Crandall-Stotler and Stotler personal collections were later incorporated into ABSH and are part of this transfer. The move was done with the aid of Matt von Konrat (F) and Blanka Shaw (DUKE) during the summer, 2012.
1. Blanka, Ray, and Matt - ready to begin packing.
2. The collection was loaded into 37 boxes for transport to F.
3. Ray on dock guarding boxes
4. Blanka backing truck to dock
5. Blanka and Matt loading truck
6. The U –Haul truck was loaded.
7. Blanka Shaw (DUKE - driver) Barbara, Ray, and Matt (Bryophytes and Pteridophytes Collections Manager and Adjunct Curator at F).